I’m totally surprised that the VMA’s didn’t suck this year!
The credits aren’t even rolling and I had to fire up my laptop and write this post! So, the MTV Video Music Awards totally did not suck this year and I’m still, like astonished! Bad hosts, terrible presenters, even more terrible jokes, and hit and miss performances is how I would typically describe the VMA’s. This year was a refreshing change! Here’s why…
1) No host. Great move, MTV. Kevin Hart’s snippets were the perfect fillers in between awards. They were pretty funny and weren’t overdone.
2) Solid performances. I didn’t snooze through any of them! That is unprecedented.
3) Speaking of performances, the standout of the night for me was Adele. Man, that woman can SING! The quality of her voice is unmeasured.
4) The set. I actually liked the set this year. It was a little busy at times, but that’s to be expected. And the green laser show during Pit Bull and Ne-Yo’s performance was really cool!
5) Kanye behaved himself. Enough said! His performance with Jay-Z was solid and the win with Katy Perry was kinda sweet.
6) People may not “get” Lady Gaga, but you have to give her credit for staying in character the whole night. She definitely is a master at captivating and keeping your attention.
7) I wrote on my Facebook page, “I feel like MTV are Britney Spears’ parents and they keep giving her awards like they’re a weekly allowance #justbecause.” Not to discredit her talent and contribution to pop music, but seriously? A lifetime award? This network is determined to keep her relevant. And for that, they get a gold star and make this list.
8 ) The Beibs (Justin Beiber) NAMED Jesus in his thank you speech. That’s unheard of in this day and time, let alone from a teenage pop star.
9) I give props to Jessie J for doing her best with a broken ankle. She didn’t let that stop her from keeping her commitment to perform and she made the best out of it.
10) And last, but most certainly not least is the biggest VMA moment…probably almost ever. Beyonce and Jay-Z have spawned! She announced her pregnancy to the world tonight and the internet is all abuzz about it! She revealed her baby bump while on the black carpet, then totally blew everybody away when she: 1) killed her performance of “Love on Top” and 2) unbuttoned her jacket to show millions of people her growing tummy at the end of her performance! The smile and look on her face was of sheer joy. It was truly a special moment. The feeling of growing a life inside of you is one that is so hard to put into words. It’s exhilarating and unparalleled. And as a first time mom, I can appreciate her moment of sharing her good news! I’m happy for her and her husband. Truly!
Did you watch? What were your favorite 2011 VMA moments?